Thank you for considering donating your valuable time to us!
If you are interested in becoming a Museum docent (educator), we unfortunately have no opportunities at this time. Docents are only taken on after extensive training, and no new classes are planned for the immediate future. When a new docent class is in the works, relevant information about the application process and requirements will be posted, so feel free to check back here periodically.
If you are interested in volunteering with us in another capacity, then you may submit an application at any time, although opportunities fluctuate in availability. If we have no positions currently open, we will keep your information on file and contact you if/when appropriate positions arise.
The following opportunities may be available:
Would you like to help create a positive experience for all visitors who pass through our doors? The majority of volunteer opportunities at the Museum are in this department.
As a Visitor Services volunteer, you would serve on the Museum’s front-line, greeting, directing, and otherwise assisting guests, to ensure that their visits are easy and enjoyable ones. Volunteers can be stationed by the Museum entrance, in the coatroom, throughout exhibit areas, or elsewhere out on the floor, and must demonstrate on-going willingness and flexibility to work in any of these areas as required.
No special education or knowledge base is required. The only requirements are that you:
• Are friendly, outgoing, polite, and helpful.
• Genuinely like interacting with people of ALL ages and backgrounds, and are comfortable addressing groups.
• Can and will remain enthusiastic and courteous while conveying the same information (or performing the same basic tasks) repeatedly.
• Are at least 16 years of age.
• Are willing and able to stand for a 4-hour period.*
• Can remember and convey directions and instructions clearly.
• Are responsible, dependable, and punctual.
• Can commit to working at least one 4-hour shift every other week (although weekly is strongly preferred) for a minimum of six months.
* We will be happy to accommodate those in wheelchairs/scooters who otherwise qualify.
Limited openings may also be available in the Museum Store (welcoming & assisting customers, cleaning & arranging displays, etc.). These positions have the same minimal requirements as above, including the ability to stand for your full shift.*
Volunteer opportunities may arise in additional areas, but are not currently (or frequently) available. Please feel free to check back here periodically for any updates.
If you are a college student interested in internship opportunities in other departments, please click here for information.
Volunteer placement is by application only, but submission of the application does not guarantee acceptance into the volunteer program. If your interests and availability match our needs, you will then be contacted for an interview. Please click here to apply.